Thursday, December 25, 2008

It is a shame

Loose thoughts by Bjorn Landfeldt

Over the past couple of days there has been lots of articles and blog posts about Internet content filtering in Australia. Sine I am involved in this debate I have spent quite some time to go through the posts to see what interesting thoughts and views are out there.

I am a bit surprised at the emotional charge this issue has and really think it is a shame that the public debate is overshadowed by a sea of emotional outbursts and wild accusations. Especially, I think it is a shame that Senator Conroy's blog is flooded with such content, that is where people should try to be taken seriously.

I think it is absurd to compare the Rudd government with the Iranian or Chinese governments. I am also surprised that senator Conroy actually bothered to meat that criticism.

I am equally amazed at the notion that if you appose this scheme in any way you support child molestation.

It is becoming clear to me why this issue became such a prominent political issue in the latest election campaign and why it is so important to win political ground. It is a shame.

I am a proud Australian since 2007 but I was born and raised in Sweden. For all the lobby groups that are seriously concerned with children's welfare, I urge you to have a look at a country that is running at a few parsec higher speed than we currently are. I live in Sydney's South-West, in a suburb that had a plane crash, two shootings and a siege resulting in 4 dead all during last week. There is a lot of child neglect and abuse going on out here and this is something to really get upset about.

Of course, really caring for our children means a hefty tax bill......

Nothing is that easy, it is a shame.

No comments: